Sunday, April 1, 2012

Peanut butter on the burger?!

Some kids need ketchup on their burger. Some need ketchup, mayo, mustard, lettuce, and tomato. And, then some need peanut butter!

That has been my latest description for describing my son's needs. At home and at school, we are trying to piece together the puzzle of a boy with attention issues, emotional struggles, Tourette's Syndrome, Obsessive Compulsive tendencies, and more! With so many variables that I can't always control (including teachers, other children, his dynamic/changing ways), it has felt as though I am struggling through a fog. I can't quite pinpoint all his needs, which is frustrating. I can't always explain the reason for actions. And, I feel that being the champion of his cause is sometimes so taxing that I'm not sure I'm the right person.

But, I waited 10 years for my son...
I asked him to be mine with a fortune cookie...
And, I made a promise to be the absolute best mom to him.

Even if I'm still hunting down the perfect brand of peanut butter.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

3 comments:

  1. Reading your post I can feel your frustration and your absolute love. Our children do not come with manuals and when they have different needs than most it is most taxing. It's what makes us better, people, teachers and Moms.

    Hoping that you find the right brand of peanut butter...and hope that people (teachers) reading this will understand some of the challenges that go on behind the scenes at home when things in school don't go as planned either.

    Thank you for sharing your honest and heartfelt thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Nancy. It was a particularly frustrating week, ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've found the perfect brand of peanut butter....love.

    ReplyDelete