Thursday, February 21, 2013

Possibilities with AR


Ever since using NASA's Spacecraft 3D app in the classroom to enhance our exploration of space vehicles, I've been a little obsessed with the possibilities of augmented reality apps! From this video, you can see why...





The kids loved the app. We placed the marker code all over the place and had great conversations about how NASA's exploratory vehicles have progressed. Students were excited and wanted to show the app off to EVERYONE, and it has had my wheels spinning since! 

I know that there is a ton going on out there for augmented reality, and I'm sure that I'm a little late to the boat. But, I also had a great experience with Paul Hamilton's Science AR app to explore the water cycle.





So, where do I go from here?

Wikipedia starts with, "Augmented reality (AR) is a live, direct or indirect, view of a physical, real-world environment whose elements are augmented by computer-generated sensory input such as sound, video, graphics or GPS data."

I can do that, right? 

After reading Steve Clark's post about Aurasma's app at http://marlboroughipads.blogspot.ca/2013/01/aurasma-making-images-move.html, I decided to try it out today (at a very low level). I created my own quick activity using a print out of 10 Electrical Safety concerns. I knew that my students would be working with that content on Friday, and I wanted to roll out the app to them to see what ideas they would later generate with different content. 



So, these were my steps using Aurasma App:


  1. Download the app.
  2. Play by creating a goofy video with my daughter. (I always start off playing with the app with kids. They have a 6th sense when apps are winners. Needless to say, Jay and I loved it!)
  3. Print out the site that I was going to be working with to explore electrical safety.
  4. Add a little monster sticker in the corner.


Then, create a video entry of myself reminding students about how dangerous electricity it and link it to the monster sticker with the app. 



Finally, add some fun animations to match the pictures...


(Imagine fire shooting up from the crowded plugs. Pretty cool, right! And, accurate.)


(This animation has electrical current coming from the side of the page.)

You can see that my first run through with the app was not incredibly complicated. It is basically a reading passage with cool animations. While it may help students remember the content a little better with the visuals, I know that there are many more possibilites. But, I'm pretty excited to try it with students tomorrow!

I think the true fun is going to occur when students dive into creating their own cool content with the app. They can create their own AR products using the science that they are learning. The work could be embedded into
"}\ their science notebook, and it could be accessed through the app by other students and me (for fun assessment).

Can you imagine? In other content areas, you could work this into writing pieces with fun images and videos pop up out of a poem or writing prompt to add to the mood. You could have students create really cool multi-tiered time lines in social studies. You could have students create a set of instructions with markers spread throughout the work. And, I'm sure a math teacher could have a fun way to integrate this into word problems!

I just think we have some really cool opportunities coming up in education...get ready, get set, explore!

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it amazing how our minds go wild thinking about the opportunities. I love love love aurasma but one thing I struggle with is the accessibility of the auras once created. You have to be following the creator in order to see activate the trigger. This would become crazy in a class full of devices. We're still experimenting with it currently. One of classes is making a scavenger hunt at the moment - I'll blog about it when it's done. :)

    Also, thanks for the mention Leah. I think we're going to learn a lot from each other!

    ReplyDelete